View Single Post
Unread 06-05-04, 10:37 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Alternator Shafts, a pain....

Gordon, I replaced (2) yes two alternators on my front engine... I think it was some what operator induced. The reason I say that is that I wanted both alternators to carry some what equal loads. So I would cycle them off and on. I think that was too much of a shock load on them. Now if I notice the loads not balanced I do NOTHING until on the ground. I further think that I would seriously consider shutting the engine down if alternator failed "IF CONDITIONS WERE FAVORABLE" to determine if shaft was intact. One of the shafts seemed not have a radius at the end of the shafts turning, the end close to the alternator. Yes it was a mess but no metal in the screens (the one at the prop gov.) or the oil filter. The last one I replaced with a new old stock unit. When I questioned the O/H shop about the shafts I was told that they see a lot of sheared shafts. I personally don't think I would buy a O/H unit because of that statement. I am in the process of changing out that front engine now with a factory reman. Hope I get a new alternator with that 26+K engine.. If I don't I will be really pi--ed off. She is at FIT and at Liebfreids. Should be done in a week or so.
guy, the old 72 driver....

Last edited by Guy Paris : 06-05-04 at 10:40 PM.