View Single Post
Unread 08-29-02, 02:02 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
"Viton" Dogpile search

GMAs,

Did a Dogpile search for "Viton" -- which is the manufacturer of the O-rings... but before the show can go on, we need to know the axial cross

Guess we'll have to go buy a micrometer to measure the old ones. Has anyone already accomplished the task, so we don't have to re-invent the wheel? At least we know the Mil-spec, which is M83248/1. Not sure about the gasket that goes above the filter, I think that one is cork material??? Haven't taken mine apart yet.

I'm doing the fuel strainers prior to annual because yesterday when I went out to check on the plane, once I got in the hangar there were two blue-stained areas of avgas under the plane on the floor, about 12" diameter and fuel stains down both the FWD and the AFT wheel well areas... safety wires on the bowls were tight BUT the 5/8" nut was loose and could be easily turned more than a FULL TURN and then the safety wire was completely loose! The FWD strainer sealed off after a full turn... it was leaking from the bottom seal, but the AFT strainer is leaking from the top of the plunger where the pull cable attaches, so I suspect the top O-ring. We've had really warm WX since I last flew on August 17th, but it seems the bowls were not installed tightly enough by you know who; no, not me! And yes, I know, the torque is 25-30 lb in. So what this tells me is that the strainer bowls haven't been serviced, even though the logs say they were.

Oh, and guess how much Cessna gets for the S1450-27A7-032 O-rings, of which two are required for each plunger? $7.66 each. Just more corporate welfare!

SkyKing