View Single Post
Unread 12-16-08, 08:08 AM

Diamond Service is an unknown quantity at this point
Last Flight of SE-MBT

I am now at home and that sure feels good.

On Saturday the 6 we flew from KPYM via KBGR to CYQB. Both these legs were uneventful and without problems. We parked the aircraft overnight in Quebec City with the fuselage/window cover on and the electrical engine heaters hooked up. The next morning it was snowing and I cleared the aircraft from snow when Oliver submitted the flightplans for our two leg flight to CYFB. The aircraft started instantly and all systems were operating. We flew for 2 hrs and 30 min at 11000 feet before landing in CYWK. Refueled 172 liters and checked the aircraft for next leg. We climbed to 11000 on this last flight of SE-MBT. The weather improved and we soon enjoyed the most beautyful sunset. About 3 hrs and 40 min into the flight we went from heaven to hell. We first noticed a decrease in oil temp. on the forward.Soon followed by low oil pressure. I moved the prop lever to test the response of the propeller system. While doing that the engine failed with a loud metallic scream and smoke entered the cockpit through the heating system. Mayday call transmitted on 121.5 and a KLM aircraft responded. Decend to single engine cruising altitude initiated. The rear engine oil temp and pressure decreased just like the forward and the engine failed with a loud bang. Back on 121.5 to tell the KLM that we were now gliding all engines out. Position report transmitted as well.
I will be back soon with the rest of the story.

Troels.