View Single Post
Unread 05-31-02, 12:43 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Paul

These probes and guages are not thermocouples, therefore, there is a potentiometer on the rear of the guage panel for calibration. They do vary but I do not know how much they do vary. They should be calibrated, however, as long as you know WHERE ON THE GUAGE a calibration point (212 def) is marked, then you can figure the rest out without recalibration.

I would recommend using secondary oil temp guage since this is a very important parameter. I rely on the JPI for feedback. The JPI is within ONE degree and/or 1%.

You could have had a bad connection at the sensor and by swapping you cleaned the contact. I would swap it back and see what happens before changing. BTW you can do the calibration without the engine running.

These probes rely on a calibrated voltage reference. They both can read incorrectly if this voltage drifts. !

Kevin
To answer your question, the only time it reads low is when I shut the engine down <G>. To be serious I only see the temps go to mid-green even with rear cowl flaps open. My guess is the sensor or guage per previous comments. IF it stays low then try the oil or boiling water test by pulling the sensor out and sticking it in the fluid. This test should take no more than 10 minutes including the removal of the cowls. I think the redline should be 210 degrees for oil, not the 240 Cessnas says. GMAS - opinion?

I would rip out all the guages if I could find a suitable replacement for the capacitive fuel level guages. They are a pain.

BTW anyone have comments on the Garmin 340, kma28 or pma7000 audio panel. I am upgrading from a kma24 for stereo audio. Been playing with XM or digital sat radio.

bob