Thread: Fuel systems
View Single Post
Unread 10-02-03, 10:13 PM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
I have study Ernie's fuel flow chart and memorized it last year. it realy tough me about the fuel system.

Experience is what really counts.

Last Monday I decided to go to Diamondhead airport for fuel ($2,30 PG vs $3,18PG At Gulport.
On the ground at Gpt the gauges read over 1/4 fuel on the mains and the aux were full. Visually the main tanks showed about 1.5 inches (from the botom of the tank) when mesured with the stick. The aux were at the top.

As we level off at 2000 I noticed the needles were showing empty, or very closed to it. I decide to switch to aux and did so by turning the fuel pumps on and everything worked like the book says. As I started my decend to Diamonhead, I was concerned because I kept asking myself "will there be fuel on the mains or should I land with the aux"?
I remember my fuel burn since I last filled the tanks, were 3.2 Hours or "CLOSE TO IT" ( that is what kills pilots) the "close to it" Part.

Any way, I swiched back to the mains by the book and landed uneventfully. What realy surpice me was that it only took 25 galons each main, which tels me I had plenty of fuel considering the overflow from the aux.

Oviously my gauges are not calibrated properly, but most scary is my ignorance over the amount of fuel I carry, burn, think I have, etc

The more I fly the more I will learn. I sure would like to have a fuel totalizer in the plane. (and about 200 more Hours as PIC)

Just today I have learned something new. Ernie states that a main tank should never be run drie and then switch to the aux, and that makes sence since the aux can't use the buster pumps. but I would like to know if any one has ever switched to aux with out turning aux pump on. THEN WHAT HAPPENED? Does the engine quits? doe it get vapor locked?
have any of you landed on the aux tanks?
And what happens if you cross fed the tanks?

Food for learning!

Francisco

It's Geting complicated

Last edited by Francisco : 10-02-03 at 10:25 PM.