View Single Post
Unread 04-19-12, 05:02 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Flashing alternator lights is not an uncommon trait in Skymasters. It is usually caused by a high resistance point in your field wiring. The regulator senses field voltage to change alternator output. A high resistance point (and it might be just an ohm or two) causes "hunting" whereby system voltage is reduced a little bit by the resistance in the field circuit, causing the regulator to boost the output of the alternator, which overshoots. this also shows up as flickering instrument lights at night.

If a volt meter shows that your voltage is changing between between 26 and 28 volts, I would first inspect every connection in the field circuit, and then the bus circuit. Don't forget to measure across your field alternator switches and circuit breakers. They are often the source of the high resistance.

Once your have the path of least resistance verified in the field circuits, adjust each VR independantly to 28.5 volts, then see if the lights stay out. If not, then look at possibly defective VR,s or a problem with one of both alternators.

As far as I know (and I'm not an expert) the OV relay will only trip on over voltage, and then it will have to be reset. It should not cause a voltage fluctuation