View Single Post
Unread 11-22-17, 11:34 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by general View Post
But I don't see anywhere else on the site that shows where the earlier SkyMasters fluid indicator is located on the old power packs. it might be helpful for the new owners. Also discussion about how fun it is to check it
The pre-1973 Skymasters DO NOT have a dipstick to check the fluid level. The power pack is gear driven pump on the engine, standard on the front engine, option on the rear engine. The hydraulic manifold (power pack) is located above the left foot of the pilot. Cessna decided to incorporate a sight gauge to visually check the hydraulic fluid. Good idea in concept but poor results as you cannot see the fluid level through the sight glass located on the exterior left side just below and in front of the storm window (small operating window at pilots left side). I have never seen a Skymaster which the sight gauge is viewable. If you know of one please speak up.

So the next question is "how does one check the fluid level?" Well my method is at every annual when the gear swing is performed the fluid is topped off from the fill port on the front firewall and when the gear swing is performed any excess fluid will pour overboard through the drain tube near the left front cowl flap. Have a catch basin (bucket) under the drain so that you don't make a mess on the floor. That's how you know it's full. Keep track of how much you put in and how much hit the bucket. Too much difference indicates a leak. Leaks are normally easy to detect as it will be red grease all over the belly. This discovery should pull up some red flags. If the fluid is low, during extreme angles of climb while retracting the gear it will take extra time for the gear to cycle and the gear could stop before it finishes and the pump will be cavitateing or sucking air. This is a good indication the fluid is low.

During the post gear swing flight, you may find additional fluid that drained out the overflow that will be all over the belly. This is probably not a leak so clean it up and keep an eye on it.

Ok, this doesn't really sound like a procedure that would be printed in a maintenance manual or official directions. This how I do it and would love to hear from your experiences.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years