Thread: Garmin 396
View Single Post
Unread 10-06-05, 01:10 AM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Paul -

The USB attached XM antenna is solely for the XM Radio and Weather. It does not receive any GPS position data. You will still need either the suction cup mounted GPS antenna included w/ the 296/396, the built-in GPS antenna, or an external fuselage mounted Garmin antenna. I have used the 296 for over a year with absolutely no problem using only the built in GPS antenna...never even took the external out of the packaging.

My new 396 has been here a week - it is absolutely fabulous... any further praise would simply be repeating everyone else's claims here....It's simply THAT good!

The only drawback so far is the cables are a little cumbersome, and I learned with a little dissapointment that the XM antenna is configured with a unique radio id - which means that you cannot have one for your plane, one for your boat, and one for your car - all using the same XM subscription... Instead - you need to drag your XM antenna between vehicles to take advantage of the weather and XM Radio subscription that is authorized solely for that radio (antenna) ID....

But still a small price to pay for a great product!!!!
LOVE IT!