View Single Post
Unread 01-21-05, 10:10 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
This has been an interesting thread to keep up with. One comment: there have been numerous "won't hold altitude" comments - what altitude?? I had the front engine of my normally aspirated 337G feather itself (governor blew a seal ) over Greenwood, MS and after the dust settled, I held 6,000', lost about 20K didn't change the rear engine setting (FT and 2400 rpm) and flew on to Memphis - about 100 n mi. I cracked the rear cowl flaps but didn't need to and this in the summertime. Medium load of fuel and folks.

When taking a mountain flying course in the middle of the summer my instructor and I were over Leadville, CO at 12,000 and he wanted to see how well it'd hold altitude, if at all. We reduced the front engine to zero thrust and held the 12,000' with about a 20K loss. Two people, 2/3 fuel (148 gallons when full) and HOT. The change in angle of attack in each case was minor.

The airplane in question (fly to Africa) is a turbo model. I believe it'll hold any altitude below at least 10,000 without a struggle. I've done no testing but my gut says a normally aspirated 337 will go further on the rear engine alone than on both (but I probably wouldn't push one thay way!)