Thread: Headliner....
View Single Post
Unread 04-30-09, 07:15 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
In my '73 the headliner covers a multitude of stuff, including fuel guage units and autopilot electronics. I think you might find a shop that will do a semi-rigid headliner for hundreds (maybe low hundreds) rather than thousands. For even greater savings, and at the risk of getting myself in trouble, couldn't an automobile upholstery shop do it using approved fire-retardant material?

Ernie
Yes it can be done by an automotive upholstery shop. Just make sure they get the required paperwork (burn data). And you can do this being the aircraft owner under Part 43. Just make sure to make a logbook entry for the work performed.

Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance

(c) Preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:

(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.