View Single Post
Unread 10-20-07, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Roger, can you expand a bit on flying a 337 so slow that "hung mine on the props at 3000 ft, and did 2 complete 360's registering 0 on the Airspeed, and 24 knots on the GPS"? Specifically, in calm air (so GPS speed is close to airspeed) you could keep the airplane without stalling at 24 knots? Do you have a stall kit? How heavy were you? If it's mostly because the props' helicopter effect (in addition to the lift from the wings) are helping keep the plane up, don't you stall easily at such a steep angle of attack?

In addition, can you extrapolate your findings to losing an engine shortly after takeoff and going around (for instance, if you're overloaded and/or density altitude is high and/or the working engine is not at full power). Are you saying that one should be able to coax a Skymaster to fly at 24 knots? While turning slowly?

Finally, I hope no one tries this at home. Which begs my last question: does it take speciall skills to do this (e.g., are you an acrobatic pilot and keeping the aircraft from stalling took above average skills)?

Ernie