View Single Post
Unread 12-20-21, 12:20 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I have a super clean airframe, 1968 C model, but there was still corrosion under some of the dampening pads in the interior so that may not be the first place to look. Those are not easy to access either so I would check some easy spots first.

Like the previous post above on the elevator, I would closely inspect the trailing edges of the elevator and ailerons. These are tight areas that salt moisture can get trapped and will show corrosion first. Also pull the under wing panels and with a good light see how much white dust type accumulation is present. It can vary from none, with shiny aluminum to ugly battery acid look. Areas posted above that are easier to access will give you a good indication of the condition. Also just reviewing log books and history of location (internet search) will help to reveal any suspect reason to start searching in the harder to reach areas. Some of the areas are just a given that corrosion will be there. Most experienced A&P’s will know the task.

The last thing I would suggest is discipline yourself to walk away from a disaster after crossing several issues. Don’t get emotionally attached to the outside beauty of the Skymaster. Be prepared to expect the worst. There’s just a lot of junk out there. It takes time and energy to find the one.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years