View Single Post
Unread 05-30-10, 12:39 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
It is my understanding that from 1973 and later (the G and H models) have the simplest fuel systems. Others please jump in here and either confirm or correct me as I am not positive.

My 1973 G model has the tanks in each wing all interconnected and under normal operations there is no fuel management. The right wing feeds the rear engine and the left wing feeds the front engine.

It is my personal procedure before engine start up to "exercise" the fuel selectors by rotating them throughout their full range of positions because otherwise they would never move. I also periodically cross-feed on the ground (right wing to front engine and left wing to rear engine) just to make sure the system works as designed and the engines continue to run in the cross-feed configuration.

The only other consideration with this fuel system is that because the tanks are interconnected with relatively small (though adequate) hoses, these models must be fueled SLOWLY!!! Most fuel pumps pump fuel much faster then the tanks can accept it. As a result the outboard most tank, which has the fuel port, fills quickly and gives the appearance that the system is full. IT WON'T BE! If you sit and watch for a few minutes, you can watch the level in the outer most tank dwindle down as the fuel gradually makes its way to the inboard tanks.

Ed