Thread: Insurance costs
View Single Post
Unread 08-26-03, 02:22 AM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Pre-purchase book

Kevin,

I'm sure you've followed the discussions I've had re. the possibilty of a Skymaster purchase early in my aviation career. I have yet to make a hard and fast decision but am leaning toward doing it.

I'm thinking I'll get my private at roughly 65 hrs. If I then get a high performance and a complex endorsement, I'm then near 100 hrs. Throw in some C182 rental hrs and I certainly will be. If I then get a Skymaster, any insurance company is likely going to require 25 hrs of dual instruction in type. Well the ME rating (and I realize that is with CLT limitation if I do it in the Skymaster) will take 10-15 of those anyway. If that all works out, I'd be a rated, insured owner in the 125 - 150 hrs. range.

I know there are some who would disagree with that approach but in thinking about my motivations for learning to fly in the first place and what my mission will be, I think it would be the way to go for me. Let's put it this way, it is what I want to do. The only question remaining is will I listen to those who advise against such an approach. There many knowledgeable people in that group so I'm not yet certain. But while the thought gestates, I can continue to educate myself.

That having been said, I recall seeing a reference here before to a book on the subject of buying a Skymaster but I can't seem to find the thread. Would you be able to direct me to the book? Thanks.

Hugh