View Single Post
Unread 11-17-05, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
The door mod is not a panacea in terms of a trouble-free gear retraction system. It does NOT alleviate problems with the power pack, bad wiring, switches that don't switch, hoses that might burst, etc. All it does is remove the rearmost clamshell doors, which are the ones that lead to the very high drag (think: parachute) while the gear is cycling and they are open. It enhances safety because, in an engine-out situation, cycling the gear won't have this huge drag over a 5-10 second period. While it does get rid of a couple of actuators and hydraulic lines, the bulk of the system remains, so keeping the system in good operating condition -- i.e., not skimping on maintenance -- is still required.

Bottom line: buy it for the lower drag during cycling, not because it's going to make a big difference in gear reliability or maintenance.

BTW, on the other issues, Bob Cook is one of the gurus of this forum. I agree with what he says and would heed his advice. I have one of the Aeroenhancements overlay panels in a polished burl, custom made for my 337G; the look is stunning and the electroluminescent lighting with battery backup a real asset to safety. I also have a Stormscope and share Bob's views that it's essential to stay out of the weather.

Ernie

Ernie