View Single Post
Unread 10-01-02, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Skyking:

Thanks for your detailed reply. After checking the other things you, Bob and others suggested (like squat switch, bad master solenoids, dirty gear solenoids, etc.), I'm going to try your idea of trying to raise the gear on the ground with just the nose jacked up (your text is copied at the bottom of this message). I'm a little concerned of doing damage to the plane. Couple of questions:

1. Assuming that I've got the gear circuit breaker properly identified and I've confirmed that I can pull it out instantly, will it stop the process? In case the breaker is mislabeled, isn't it easier to just turn off the master?

2. After I pull the breaker (or turn the master off) and everything has come to a stop, what is the best procedure to put things back? Do I do it electrically by turning master switch off, putting the gear lever down, re-inserting the breaker and then turning master switch on OR better to pump the gear up manually?

3. If, for whatever reason, pulling out the breaker (or turning the master off) doesn't stop the process quickly enough, are you suggesting that the weight of the aircraft is too large for the mechanism and that the gear won't retract and damage the aircraft?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Ernie

[YOUR IDEA: Block the main wheels so it won't roll, jack the nose up using the jackpoint just aft of the nose gear wheel well area and jack the nose off the ground so that the nose wheel is not touching the ground... an inch should do. Then, with an external power source applied to the ground service plug receptacle to supply 28vdc (use a spare battery and a charger hooked in parallel), reach in through the pilot side window and move the gear handle into the up position. You should have power pack initiation, doors then opening and the nose gear should begin moving up. You can stop the process at anytime through the cycle by pulling the landing gear circuit breaker... be ready for that. Since the mains are on the ground with weight on the wheels, nothing should happen with them, and since you're not going to allow the cycle to continue, the power pack won't be placed under addtional strain.]