Thread: Insurance costs
View Single Post
Unread 02-17-04, 07:06 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
SkySmiths Book

Since I am in the middle of trying to buy a Skymaster, I thought I would add my two cents while it is fresh on my mind.

First, a brief review of SkySmith's book.

The book incudes a brief introductory history, some safety facts, and some information on what it is like to own and fly a skymaster.

A "top 10" list (actually top 17) of things to watch out for is also included. It elaborates on each item. It is the normal stuff that we have all seen elsewhere, but still helpful, including: rear engine oil leaks; leaky/incorrect fuel hoses; alternators (60 amp preferred); heavy cases and VAR cranks; windshield, avionics compartment and door leaks; hot running engines and good baffling; operation of cowl flaps, flaps and gear system; exhaust system breaks and leaks; cracked rudder pedestals; motor mounts; rudder pedestal cracks; hydraulic leaks; corrosion in the belly; operation of gauges and instruments (esp the fuel gauges); spar cap inspection (5000 + hours); normal AD's and SP's.

The next major section (constituting nearly half the book) is detailed list of specifications by model year (with some illustrations, etc). This is very helpful in comparing what model you want to try and buy. It includes the normally aspirated models, the turbo models, and the p-models. It even covers the O2-A and o2-B and discusses the differences between them and the civilian versions. It also covers the Riley Skyrocket and SuperSkyrocket models.

There is also an AD list which goes through 2000-23-21. I assume that this is probably updated occasionally.

There is also a list of STC's which is helpful if you are interested in various mods.

Finally, there is a miscellaneous section which covers various skymaster systems and operation (gear, fuel system, sample checklists, etc).

All in all, I found the book to be helpful. There is nothing there that you can't find elsewhere if you really dig, but the $40 price is pretty cheap to have all this stuff in one place if you put much value on your time.