Thread: Insurance costs
View Single Post
Unread 08-09-04, 11:17 PM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Finally Insured!

It has been my goal for quite a while to get insured in my Dad's 76 P Model. I finally managed it, and thought I would pass along what it takes for a low time pilot to get insured in one of these things.

First, I will say that it is considerably easier to get insured in a normally aspirated non-pressurized model (see my previous post) although you will pay a pretty fat premium the first year.

My flight resume now includes about 200 hours total time, multi and instrument ratings, and requisite endorsements. I have around 25 hours time in type (which I basically got as dual on an uninsured basis), and about 40 hours total multi and complex time.

My Premium? Around $7,000. I understand that it will probably drop a good bit after I accumulate 100 hours in the airplane, and will drop some more when I get to 500 hours total time.

The only requirements were 20 hours of dual (15 of which had to be IFR) to include 20 takeoffs and landings, and 5 hours of solo before carrying passengers. I already had most of the dual, so I just have to do the solo and I'm good to go.