View Single Post
Unread 03-13-10, 08:41 PM

N5ZX is on a distinguished road
Since there is already a thread designiated MT Propeller, I figured I'd add a reply to Jack about his interest in the Composite 3-blade props.

I recently mounted them on the front and rear of my bird and I'm quite pleased.

The biggest difference is decreased vibration....think of it like this: the wop-wop-wop of a two blade huey...you can hear it coming miles away. The high-speed buzz of the OH-6 "Loach" (Hughes 500) which is virtually silent until its on ya. or Harley vs. ninja. its smooth....and its quiet.

In fact, the tips actually whistle ever so slightly at idle.

Much of the smoothness may be due to Owen Bell's dynamic balancing.

Whether its the props and proper balancing, or the stars and the moons...whatever it is....I likes it!!!!

Bug juice wipes away increadibly easily (be careful what cleaner you use).

And be SURE you clean the rear prop after EVERY flight. The rear prop os only a few inches from the blistering hot exhaust from the rear engine. No problem...the heat doesnt seem to be bothering it (only 15 hrs so far). HOWEVER, the exhaust carbons get baked onto the prop....turinging a stark white blade....tobacco-tan. Easy enough to clean off if you get it while its freash. But if you wait too long, I have a hunch it will prove increasingly difficult and could theoretically stain the finish permanently.

Take the extra few seconds to use your cleaning cloth to "floss" between the rood of the prop and the base of the spinner. (sorry about the lack of technical lingo....but if you have one, you'll know what I mean).

In all.... I am VERY please.

As with any upgrade ( and I've done A LOT of upgrading) I dont recommend doing it unless the existing quipment is due for replacement or significant repair. But if its time to do "something", I can say that the MT Composite 3-blade is an exceptionally good option.

It wont work miracles. But it will put a smile on your face.

Cole