View Single Post
Unread 10-08-06, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Good summary. It looks like you've been reading the right threads (including "What to look for when buying a Skymaster").

I wouldn't disagree with your summary, but allow me to add a few caveats or clarifications.

Expensive to own. No more than other twins if you buy one that has been properly maintained. Regrettably, some new buyers get beat-up Skymasters that become very expensive to maintain.

Quirky gear. Same as above: no more quirky than other retractable gears if you get one that was properly maintained.

Quirky engine heat management. Can't comment on the 336, but this is not a problem for 337s in the kind of service most pilots will face. It is a consideration, and requires management, when flying out of crowded airports in summer heat. (When I fly out of Nassau, I start the rear engine on the taxiway when I'm second in line for takeoff.)

Other than that, you've got a good picture. I'm no expert on insurance, but I think a 336 will cost less, perhaps significantly less. Come to Miami and we'll go flying.

Ernie