View Single Post
Unread 04-22-21, 04:55 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Question Brake system flush?

My BMW requires its brake fluid to be changed every two years due to potential moisture in the system. BMW claims failure to do this can lead to mushy brakes and other issues.

Since brake fluid DOES absorb moisture, who here has ever flushed their aircraft's brake fluid purely as a preventive measure? I don't recall seeing it discussed much, if ever.

My P337H has fresh brakes, but the effort required for full braking effect is rather high IMHO. I'm considering flushing the brake system with new fluid to see if it helps. I couldn't find any log entries related to flushing the brake system, so I wonder if its ever been done before.

Should be very simple - Open the bleeder valve on the brake caliper, and pump out enough fluid with the toe brake to empty the reservoir. Refill the reservoir with new fluid. Pump brakes and refill with new fluid as required until the new fluid is coming out the bleeder valve. Color will be different, so it should be easy to tell. Close the bleeder valve, then repeat the process for the other wheel. Put a small tube on the bleeder valve so the old fluid can be directed into a container for proper disposal, rather than all over the hangar floor. Brake fluid WILL eat through painted and epoxied floor, so be careful! Its no good for your skin either.

Any thoughts on using Skydrol rather than traditional 5606 hydraulic fluid?

Comments are welcome, I'll report back here with my findings after get a chance to do it.

Last edited by mshac : 04-22-21 at 04:58 PM.