View Single Post
Unread 04-26-21, 12:19 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
some thoughts

Great posts - I will just a few thoughts.

NO to Skydrol...not compatible with our power packs or seals. Besides, that stuff is even nastier to paint! I have worked with the stuff for many years, give me 5606 any day!

Changing the oil in your brakes - yes, it is a great idea. I do this about every 5 years on my aircraft, and it is really simple. I have one of those pressure tanks from ATS - fill it with fresh fluid. Take some of that plastic line you use for pitot-static lines, and screw in a NPT fitting into top of master cylinder (I think 1/4" NPT) and about a 24" piece of line into a water bottle. Open up your bleeder and pressurize from the brake - you will see the old oil come up through the hose and into the bottle. Once it is running nice and clean keep going until you fill about 3/4 of the bottle, and shut it all down. You have just changed the oil in a brake and brake line, and bled the brakes at the same time. It does not hurt to reseal the brake calipers and clean them once and while, including the master cylinders too. After about 10 years, they get a bit dirty inside and can use a good cleaning and new seals.
Jeff