Thread: Repaint
View Single Post
Unread 03-28-11, 04:04 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The first thing I would ask is, What kind of a paint job are you looking for? Are you keeping the airplane? There's lot's of horror stories to read about paint shops. One source is Aviation Consumer Magazine. They typically do a paint shop survey every couple years. Do you subscribe to AC mag? I had my '68 painted 2 years ago and was very happy with Sturgis Aviation. They are a sleeper shop that is known for the best work around. The advantage I had, which I think is paramount, was that I could visit the shop every day. Most of the horror stories you hear are situations where a guy drops off the plane and comes back 6 week later and tears begin to flow. Normally not tears of joy, miss communications between you and the paint shop. A lot can happen and go wrong in 6 weeks. That is why it's best to stick to something reputable that is close by or stand in line for the best shops out there that will do what you request.

Cost? I would say that today there are shops out there that will do it for $16-18K but if you want the better shops you're going to pay $20-22K. This would include some small extras that just need to be done. Maybe a control surface repair or some plastic parts replaced. That extra design that only Skymasters can require. Painting a Skymaster is totally different than painting say a C310 or Twin Comanche. Shops that have done it will know, shops that haven't will be in for a surprise. Might be part of the bad experience surprise or if you are there nursing them on (like I did when Sturgis painted their first, mine) it might work to your benefit. My cost was a little lower but Sturgis said that they would never paint another one for that price. My was in the upper bracket though. They did a fantastic job and I have had lots of people say that the job is superb on my aircraft.

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ighlight=paint

I have heard from a lot of people that Sky Harbour is tops. Here's some info

Sturgis Aviation Michigan
Danny - 616-659-3773

Sky Harbour - Goderich, Ontario, Canada N7A 4G7
Phone: 519 524-2165 or 1 800 558-5180
Fax: 519 524-8421
Email: MelissaColeman@skyharbour.com

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 03-28-11 at 04:07 PM.