Thread: Repaint
View Single Post
Unread 05-05-11, 08:00 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Hello Guy -
Thanks for the tip; their name also came up from a couple of other contacts. So I actually got a quote from them last week - which sort of watered my eyes: $22+K. They're clearly a quality shop with a sterling reputation, but even with that, one of my neighbors had some issues with them over a job he had done there.

I'm still wrestling with the economics of the whole thing, not simply the out-of-pocket $$ but with the aspect of making that large an investment in something that clearly (to me) isn't going to gain - and most likely not even maintain - it's value going forward. The airplanes are not classics in the usual sense of the word (except maybe to us) and I see their resale value continuing to drop over time as they get harder (read 'more expensive') to keep in service....parts, the whole 100LL issue, etc.

Of course, there's the aesthetic (sp?)/pride-of-ownership aspect also. But mine is a working airplane and I have to weigh the overall economics of the repaint. Which also means I can't have the airplane down for 12-18 months while I struggle through a DIY job. Decisions, decisions.............

Joe