View Single Post
Unread 01-21-06, 06:42 AM

basloane is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess I had envisioned that when one adds tip tanks to the Skymaster, you can merely keep a gallon or two in them until you fill them for long trips.

Instead, the tanks need to have a fairly significant amount of fuel ( 12 gallons each ) in them when operating at weights between 4300 and 4700 lbs ( which is almost always ). This means that rather than keeping your main tanks full at all times to minimize the possiblity of condensation and because you rarely know how many people you will be taking on your next flight, it is best to keep the mains tanks with minimal fuel until you know your payload weight. Even with a Shadin and nortoriously inaccurate fuel gauges, the possiblitites of error increase, and cockpit workload increases with the need to wait until near destination untill electing to transfer fuel to the mains.

On the other hand, having the extra fuel on long trips means you have more options if the weather goes sour.

Which is the lesser evil;... The added complexities of flight planning on long flights which happen only occasionally, or the added complexities of the other shorter flights which will be happening more often?

I guess the question is directed to anyone who has a Skymaster with these tanks installed. Does their management of the operation of the aircraft change significantly by having these tanks?

Does the resale value of the aircraft change significantly due to the presence of these tanks?

Philosophical questions,....yes. Open ended,...yes. I may be over analyzing this, but I am a new Skymaster owner and in new terrorory here. I don't fuly understand how to assess a decision whether or not to install these tanks.

Any thoughts, no matter what they are or from whom would be welcome.

Best Regards,.......Barry Sloane N187