View Single Post
Unread 11-12-11, 03:43 PM

Aeromx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchronic View Post
I will heartily second that recommedation: Check your flap cables at the next annual, if not before!! We just finished an extensive 100-hour inspection on2697S under the expert supervison of Aeromx (who comes on here occasionally). As a result of info he and I picked up at the final CPA 337 seminar in Santa Maria earlier this year, we wanted to specifically inspect this seldom looked at area. What we found was bad; one cable frayed and the other with completely broken strands.

Needless to say, they were replaced at the cost of a week or so of additional down time and a lot of hard work by Aeromx, but it was a find I was glad we made. And an SDR report is being made to the FAA. Maybe Tim (Aeromx will get on here with more info; he has some pics of the frayed/broken cables.

Joe
Pics of JChronic's 1969 337D Inboard Flap Cable damage (x2) as found at 100hr/Annual Inspection - See attached.

As has already been noted by others you CANNOT see the affected areas of these cables with REMOVING them from the bellcrank. You MUST remove them for proper inspection. We replaced all 6 flap cables with new stainless cables and re-rigged the entire system per the service manual. The cables were tough to find but managed to find 5 out of the 6 we needed from 5 different sources. Had to have the last cable made/fabricated by Beechhurst Industries in NY (Ph: 718-468-1565). They can make most flight control cables under a Mil-Spec part number thereby eliminating the need for an STC or field approval....log entry only needed. The cost of the fabricated cable from Beechhusrt was the same as if I could purchase it from Cessna or other sources if it was available.

Let me know if anybody has any questions or needs any help.

- Tim/Aeromx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C337 Inbd Flap Cable 1.JPG
Views:	975
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	1322   Click image for larger version

Name:	C337 Inbd Flap Cable 2.JPG
Views:	1061
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	1323   Click image for larger version

Name:	C337 Inbd Flap Cable 4.JPG