View Single Post
Unread 10-13-06, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
How to Fix Poor Conductance of Long Connector Behing Gauge?

On my erratic fuel gauges, we've made some progress but some problems persist. The earlier thought that it might be due to the discolored (burnt?) resistor found in the signal-conditioning box has been abandoned after further testing and the fact that sometimes one gauge will work and the other one won't. Connectors on both the signal-conditioning box and at the wing root seem fine.

We now believe that it's poor conductance in the long connector behind the gauge. After disconnecting and cleaning both male and female sides, there was an improvement but we can't get a consistent signal. We tested and all was well. Did it again and no signal on either gauge. Jiggled it and we get a signal. We then lightly sanded the circuit-board male side and re-cleaned it, and now we have consistent reading of the right tank, with the left tank reading depending on jiggling the connector.

Incidentally, let me note that the design supplies a low voltage to the gauge, especially for low fuel quantities (for a 1/4 full tank it is a fraction of one volt). Anyhow, we're considering replacing the female connector but, because that connector looks good, we're concerned that the problem is really the circuit-board male side, where the copper strips seem worn and may be causing the bad connection. Has anyone run into this? Kim, Pete or anyone else, is there a way of "refurbishing" the circuit-board male side in situ? Any other thoughts?

BTW, day before yesterday, when I went to the airport to work on this, I found that the airplane had been hit by some vehicle (e.g., motorcycle, golf cart) along the front-left side, roughly from below the center of the front-engine left cowling to a point below where the circuit-breakers panel sits. While there is no structural damage, there is considerable skin damage. Oh, did I mention that I have no insurance and the culprit ran away? Anyhow, my attention has shifted to getting this repaired -- getting labor quotes and finding the necessary parts. I will be posting some pictures on a separate thread but, on the matter of parts, let me mention how fortunate we all are that Don Nieser of Commodore Aerospace exists. My thanks to him.

Ernie