Thread: Bermuda?
View Single Post
Unread 05-16-10, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that it will probably take 1 - 2 hrs before rescue arrives, but I think a) it's a near certainty that your distress message will be heard, and b) given the relatively short time you will be in the water, some of that equipment is nice to have but not necessary.

From 10,000 feet to a controlled ditching there's lots of time to make calls. You have hand-held aviation and marine band radios if you've lost all power, and an always-on, hand-held GPS.

The two water desalination pumps can be dispensed with if you take the water I suggest in the Ditching page, in the containers suggested. Depending on when you go, the anti-exposure suits can also be dispensed with, especially if you carry a raft; for instance, today's water temp for the area ranges from 78 deg near the mid-point to 73 deg near Bermuda (see www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl_tmap.html), and in August those temperatures rise to over 80 deg (see http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_his...?station=41048). Remember that you're not just depending on your distress call being heard, but that SAR will be dispatched within one hour of your failure to arrive. I would be comfortable with that, but for even greater comfort consider Ahab's suggestion to rent a satphone.

Ernie