View Single Post
Unread 02-14-04, 07:16 PM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Devil's Advocate

You guys make some great points. As you might imagine, I have "buying fever" now, but hope to avioid "buyers remorse" later.

I booked the plane out using the trade-a-plane valuator thing. I used average for airframe, interior, and exterior, and indicated a "moderate" damage event and a "minor" damage event based on the descriptions of what constituted these events. Including the existing avionics, and leaving out any non-functional items, the plane booked at $69,000 (making no allowance for the age of the engines).

If I put in 1500 hours for both engines (run out), then it indicates a value of $53,000.

If I put in 0/0 SFRM, I get $93,000.

So, I suppose I was looking at it like buying a run out plane, and paying $3,500 for a roll of the dice on whether one or both engines would last a little while.

Of course, this is problematic to the extent that due to the age of the engines, they don't have the VAR crank (and may not have the heavy cases, I am in process of determining). This being the case, the core value would be anywhere from $3,000 to $6,000 less per engine. So, this means that my roll of the dice would be more in the range of $9,500 to $15,500. That is why I am VERY interested in assessing the engine health before making any final decision.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

PS: On the radios, I could slip two of the mitchell drop in replacements in for $1,500 each and have nice new digital radios.