View Single Post
Unread 04-02-21, 09:48 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
If you purchase his parts, you have to install them as an "owner made part", which is 100% legal. The owner does not have to actually make the part himself, the part can be made under his direction, which is how these parts are made. Even part 135 and 121 operators are allowed to use this rule.

And with no other options available, what else can you do besides go without?

I would have absolutely no problem using these parts.

The SOAPA member here that sells pitot-tube heating elements he makes himself operates under the same "owner made part" loophole (though he says he's working on some type of paperwork for them).

One of my interior plastic windows cracked (not the exterior pressure windows). Cessna wanted $400 for the window. I drove to Lowes, bought a piece of Lexan for $12 (same thickness as the original), used the old window to draw an outline on the new window, cut the new window to match the old, and re-installed it. A perfect example of a 100% legal owner-made part.

If you've ever owned a Bonanza and belonged to Beechtalk.org, you know the marketplace there is chock-full of parts that owners are making themselves and selling to others. Its a real cottage industry in the Bonanza world, but with 17,000+ planes built, its a much larger usergroup than our Skymasters! We're fortunate to have someone take an interest in serving our small community with brand new parts that aren't available anymore.

Last edited by mshac : 04-02-21 at 10:12 AM.