View Single Post
Unread 06-29-07, 07:51 PM

EB338 is an unknown quantity at this point
I too would be very interested to hear more on this subject. I have been doing some research on the topic and would assume they used the Centurion 4.0 by Thielert in Germany. That is the 350hp V8 water cooled engine with the gear reduction unit that runs on Jet A. I know it is not safe to assume anything but this is the only diesel I could find that was close to big enough. They already have kits to convert 206's, 340's, 414's, and 421's, as well as Beech Duke B60's, so the front end of a 337 should not be much of a stretch.

They claim more static thrust for the HP than conventional because of the higher torque and to be burning about 12gph (per engine) which could get 350hp 337s running for less than $100/hour in fuel up in the 300mph neighborhood. They are however almost 200lb heavier each than the TSIO550's, not to mention 4" wider, 6" taller, and 3" shorter but I don't know if any of those numbers include the gear reduction unit, and I am not entirely sure how their water cooling system fits in the cowl or how much more weight that adds to the package. I also found it interesting they offer no TBO as they are supposed to be replaced not rebuilt every 2400hours. They also take mixture and prop control and hand them over to the computer which like most new technology sounds great when it works.

Anyone know anything more?