View Single Post
Unread 11-19-10, 03:56 PM

K337A is on a distinguished road
The 2nd link with the media description describing the explosion is disturbing. FWIW- 337's fuel tanks develop cracks. They oil can and take a beating when fueled quickly. They crack on top and other places. You will see this as fuel stains sometimes at the wing root and fuselage side along with interior staining. The POM explains the fueling procedure but doesn't address the real problem of fuel tank pressurization and the accompanying stress on the fuel tanks. The problem is evident when looking at the tank material and the it's gauge/thickness and the movement they experience when quickly fueled. The planes in which I have had apart are not state of the art chafe protected especially if OEM and never modified to modern standards. If in fact this A/C experienced a inflight explosion it's not hard to believe because of the recurring problems I have seen over 15 years of flying many different models of these 337's. I know every time I turn on the landing light , Nav lights, or wing strobes I flinch and have a bad mental visualization. I realize the fuel senders are in this loop also I just don't look at those as a switchable detonator. If it has a blue stain I would not blow it off and look at it later.

Last edited by K337A : 11-19-10 at 03:59 PM.