View Single Post
Unread 01-30-04, 11:44 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Guys,

In aviation, as in most things, there are always multiple opinions. Mine is different from Mark's, and I offer it here for you to consider.

I had the EI volt/ammeter in my P337, along with the switch and the shunts, and like Mark, I think it is an excellent unit. In fact, I would not own a 337 without putting one in, because the electrical system is the weakest system in Skymasters.

That said, I did not, and would not, replace the overvoltage board you are talking about with this meter. I would have the meter *in addition to* the board. I am very uncertain that installing the EI VA meter actually can be used to replace the board, but I will take Mark's word for that. I thought the meter was STC'd to replace the Cessna ammeter. But anyway, here is why I would not replace the board with the EI meter:

If you wire around the board we are talking about, you lose, at least, your red overvoltage, red discharge and yellow "alternator out" lights. The EI meter provides a discharge light and an overvoltage light only. The problem here is that if you lose a single alternator, and you have only the EI gauge, you will have no immediate indication that anything is wrong. In fact, the only way you can detect the loss is to switch the EI guage from the left to the right alternator, and look at the current being produced by each. If the EI gauge shows zero for one alternator, then you would know that the alternator selected has stopped producing current (which may or may not mean you have an alternator problem, but that is a whole 'nother story).

If I am flying IFR on a dark and stormy night, I want to know *immediately* when one of my alternators fails. I have had exactly this experience on my '65 337 when the alternator shaft coupling failed. And I would find it a pain in the butt to have to train myself to check the alternators every X minutes by flipping the switch.

So my recommendation, for what it is worth, is to install the EI VA meter, because it is so helpful in diagnosing electrical system problems. But also, I suggest you repair or replace your warning light circuit board, because it provides an important function as well.

My two cents, worth what you paid for it.

What problem are you having with the board that leads you to want to replace it? Have you thought about having your avionics shop take a look at the board, see if can be repaired?

Kevin