View Single Post
Unread 10-03-11, 07:49 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Modified gear

Mr. Martin,
You probably make perfect sense? I have an unnatural fear of doing a gear up landing that I don't think I'll ever get over. The extra training required to DEAL with retractable gear, ie, emergency procedures. I am a single engine Cessna pilot, of about 400 hours, non-instrument rated, and that too is something I don't ever plan on getting (crazy especially since I'm buying a Skymaster). I returned to flying airplanes after about ten years of off-and-on helicopter flying. I'm just a "bore holes in the sky" pilot. I didn't even think I'd fly something (in my mind) as complex as a fixed gear C182. But as a CAP pilot I had to fly the C182 because of my job as maintenance officer for our Squadron. Any ways I do feel comfortable in the simple C182 with constant speed prop. SO I wanted to expand my horizons by purchasing and learning to fly a Skymaster. Back to my thoughts. I'm an A&P and will be doing my own maintenance, with help from an IA for annuals. So as a mechanic I feel the additional maintenance/expense (like rebuilding/replacing hydraulic cylinders, gear retract tests, etc.) required for the "RG" is not worth it. As I previously stated I was originally looking for a C336 as you know was ONLY a fixed gear.
This is my thinking, thanks for your comments.
BILLS