View Single Post
Unread 03-26-10, 09:56 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Tanks

You don't need long range tanks to go to Europe. The longest distance, via the northern route, is a little over 600 miles. However, pay attention to the note that says insulate the breather tube. It would be easy to speculate that uninsulated breather tube brought down the plane that is sitting in the bottom of the ocean.

If you want to go the route of St.Johns to the Azores, you need a ferry tank, in the cabin. You also need an HF radio. Most ferry pilots will take the northern route.

You can probably buy an aircraft for 30K, and then spend 60K on engines, and 20K on props, pretty easily. Most of the lower priced airplanes have high time engines.
Avionics can easily run another 60K. If you want a new paint job and interior, check with Herb on that cost, but it isn't cheap.

I would suggest that you search for an airplane that has mid-time engines. Have a thorough pre-buy done on it. Look at your wallet, because you can plan on 7K for insurance the first year, provided they will write it. I think an IR would be required by most companies these days. Fuel burn, for normally aspirated, will run 22GPH. An inexpensive annual will be 3K. I had an annual that cost me 12K.

The costs add up, and in a hurry.

Last edited by WebMaster : 03-26-10 at 10:30 AM.