View Single Post
Unread 08-23-21, 02:41 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippster View Post
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, ask the broker if they have the exclusive contract to sell or a contract to sell and ask to see it. Otherwise, you're wasting your time with someone that is not an agent for that plane.
+1000!

I've bought at least two dozen piston airplanes over my lifetime. You know how many were represented by a broker? ZERO. How many times have I had an issue like this? NEVER.

It may have limited me somewhat, but I found most aircraft represented by brokers to be overpriced, at least in the piston realm (Things are different with jets).

It takes more legwork, but the best deals are almost always purchased directly from the owner. Use Aerospace Reports for the lien check and escrow, and things will likely go very smoothly.

Regarding Bill Crews, I've spoken with him on the phone about his opinion on the value of my plane. He seemed affable enough, but most con men do. If this was a one-time event with Crews, I wouldn't refer to him that way (con-man), but this is a pattern with him. Too many previous lawsuits and reports of serious ethical transgressions to give him any real shot at redemption. At least in this life! I was not aware of his tawdry reputation, but I never had any financial dealing with him, so never took the time to check him out.

Another lesson here is to get involved with your proposed aircraft's owner groups BEFORE you buy a plane!

Last edited by mshac : 08-23-21 at 03:00 PM.