View Single Post
Unread 09-04-21, 01:31 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Bought my plane though bill crews. Experience was ok. But dealt with many a real estate agent over the years so my expectations are wary with any agent for anything sold, and didn't count on the agent for anything. My expectation was zero. My view, sometimes an agent is "baggage" you have to deal with. A good one can help but don't count on it. And this transaction had an agent. Caveat Emptor. Knew it was all going to be me. I was on it right away. I checked and seller wasn't selling though any other advertiser. Made sure contract included that I would be using a third party escrow closing service to keep everyone honest. Crews was fine with that. I ordered an Aerospace Reports title search and report BEFORE earnest money and contract sign. (Any question check with AOPA for assistance on this. You can find out some interesting history about the airplane that even a current owner may not know.) Bam, I was on the road to the airplane before the earnest money cleared. It was a holiday weekend-no excuse for a purchase like this. As buyer I've got job to do. Right after contract, a second trip and meeting with owner who was a pleasant and responsible fellow. And a third trip. At any point I couldn't get emotionally attached and stood ready to accept money or energy was expendable if anything made it a no go (and don't mean just the airplane but the deal and people count too). There was a hiccup on closing day: some side agreement I wasn't privy to (commission? not a surprise!). But escrow service made that a no brainer locking everything down until they worked it out, which was done in short order under escrow's eyes. The closing service made sure that airplane popped out on other side registered to me with FAA and all the necessary documents in my hand minute one, hour one, day one concurrent with the transfer of my money. AOPA can be helpful with your purchase. Use them and don't go it alone.

Last edited by wslade2 : 09-04-21 at 08:23 AM.