View Single Post
Unread 04-17-12, 04:05 PM

turbonut51 is on a distinguished road
Ponderings

Thank you Roger. I have 647.5 hours in certified aircraft. aprox 1400 in ul aircraft. Just as a happenstance of my service, I have 45hrs in McDonnell F101, 37hrs AV L-29 delfin (in 1979), and 24hrs in a Bell UH-1 Iroquois. I also have restored 7 aircraft from a Champ to a C-210. Unfortunately, I have 16hrs since 1989, that all being ul.

Being that I am so far out of date, in all respects, I will completely retrain. The experience with the 210 of course, is invaluable toward a Skymaster.

Part of my questions is, by reputation the 337 is "underpowered", and many modifications are made to address that, ie factory turbocharging and its effects on climb/ceiling etc. or stc - wing tip droops, clean up aerodynamics, less power for climb required, etc. This is a perceived negative to the aircraft, I understand that "fully trained and fully maintained" these aircraft will fly "FINE".

There are other issues which may effect future flyability, such as avgas availability, especially where I may relocate to. I think an autogas stc should be investigated. I have seen no reason for it not being completed/available except "they did not have time for the process". I may have to go into "owner maintenance catagory" because of location, which totally, permanently devalues the aircraft by default.

Yes, I am evaluating my mission for the aircraft, there is no doubt the Skymaster is the valid choice.

JEFF

Last edited by turbonut51 : 04-17-12 at 06:12 PM. Reason: missing word