View Single Post
Unread 05-10-02, 02:28 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
3 BLADED PROP / mt

Hope Aero in Toronto put one together for Riley. I happened to see it or one like it at their shop last month.

Feedback and comments
Appears they are more suited to complex hi performance such as Cirrus. They can be overhauled but in most cases need to be returned to factory for blade work. Any tip damage they are history. They are laminated wood with epoxy covering. Cannot put on heated boots for front prop. They are lighter than McCauley. Very little difference in price. The amount of "meat" is greater on the McCauley. You can lose more than an inch on the diameter and still remain in spec. They are more susceptible to stone damage and FOD. Doesn't appear to have any advantage in speed but some advantage in short field performance. No documentation so far.

Hope can overhaul hubs but are limited to surface repair on the blades.

Bottom line
It does not APPEAR to provide any advantage and you could be tied up for sometime when overhaul is required (back to Germany). Since the rear prop is in the line of fire (already have redressed mine twice in one year) I would tend to stay with metal blades.

I can pass on phone numbers. Hope is a registered overhaul shop for all mfgrs including Hartzell and are the Canadian agents for MT. They assemble MT's for the Can market.

fyi

Bob