View Single Post
Unread 11-10-02, 08:28 AM

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink AWM endorsed here

I've been using AWM with Ipaq for over two years. I'm nothing but satisfied.

I use CV supplied Garmin GPS antenna velcroed to my glareshield, works flawlessly, never loses signal.

I use Globalstar sat phone velcroed to window side post, co-pilot side. Sometimes quirky, but with CV tech support I always solve the software problem (they've upgraded log on to automate it).

I have a panel mount UPSat moving map GPS which is fine, and I fly with the usual IFR panel plus 2 moving maps. The UPS runs the autopilot if I want, and I set it to longer distance waypoints. The AWM is like a virtual IFR chart, with airways, intersections, VNAV and GPS altitude. Another fabulous feature is extended runway certerlines, which is great for situational awareness in IFR conditions to find approach fixes. It even depicts holding patterns.

Of course, I use my IFR panel for primary information, but the AWM is awesomely powerful.

Another thing, the company, Control Vision, is both prolific with updates, and reasonable in pricing. Full 28 day database AND software updates ON LINE for less than $200 per year.

Nexrad weather is far better than most other systems, only minutes old most times, and metars come along with the download. You just double tap the airport, hit a menu button, and the metar shows up.

Visibility is fine. I wear small reading glasses so I see over the glareshield, and can read all the detail in the panel and the Ipaq.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike