View Single Post
Unread 07-12-02, 04:26 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Bob,

I subscribe to the school of thought you're promoting.

Regarding how to format the table, I'm embarrassed to say I only know a very difficult and tedious way to format it so that columns come out. Here's what I did:

In HTML (or whatever language these pages use: VBCode?), consecutive spaces get dropped, leaving only one space. The trick is to use the magic word   everytime you want a space to not get dropped.

For instance, if you want 5 spaces between the letters A and B, then you would enter the following text while editing:

A    &nbsp ;B

When you preview your posting, you’ll see that the   words are replaced by one space each. As follows:

A     B

Additionally, you'll want to use a fixed space font - like Courier. This is needed to make the spaces the same width as the characters in the table - thus permitting you to line up the columns by adding or removing spaces. And that's done by preceding the table with "FONT=courier new" followed by "/FONT" after the table (however you have to replace the quotes with a left bracket and a right bracket). And now the example looks like this:

A     B

As you can imagine, hand editing a table this way is time consuming. Fortunately, the preview function let’s you see what you’ve got, each time you tweak it a little bit.

Aren't you sorry you asked? <g>

There’s got to be an easier way. Does anyone out there know how to create a Table in VBCode?