Thread: SID cost....?
View Single Post
Unread 10-30-12, 07:31 AM

hew is on a distinguished road
SID Inspection done

Yep, I have just had the SID inspections done. The actual NDT eddy current inspection takes about half an hour. That is the last of the good news.
The SID instructions say the wing can be supported while the attache bolts are withdrawn and the holes tested. My aircraft was diss-asembled for shipping so didn't have to try that. If you have to remove the wings then the aircraft has to be de-rigged and things are a bit more complicated. The most time consuming part of disassembly was removing the fuel tanks. The covers are structural and held in place by many screws which, in our case, 10-15% had to be drilled out. The wing must have no load on it when you take the covers off otherwise you will never get them back on.
The stringers on the bottom of the tank bays have to be tested for cracks. In addition, there are two small bolts through the main spar web, the holes of which have to be tested. One holds the jacking pad in place. You cannot remove the nuts from these bolts unless you first remove the tanks! Thanks Mr Cessna.
Thanks again Mr Cessna for using a corrosive glue on the patches attached to fuselage skin panels to stop "drumming". Most of these will peel off easily but the corrosion underneath must be treated and the skin thickness tested. If you aircraft has any other corrosion these are going to be in poor shape.
The cost is going to vary depending on what else is found. In our case we found a repair that was not done in accordance with the Cessna repair guidelines. We had to replace the rear cabin spar.
I can see Cessna's perspective on this issue. All these aircraft are ageing and if they started falling apart and Cessna had said nothing need be done then they would be liable.
In our case the SID's turned up nothing, (the spar repair was outside the SID's) but in other Cessna models they have detected prospective fatal flaws.
So set aside $30k to get the job done. Good luck.