View Single Post
Unread 05-16-04, 11:23 AM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
We did check the autopilot immediately to make sure it was not engaged - so I know that was not the problem.

You both mentioned the flap interconnect... after landing, I retracted the flaps, and taxied in - as far as I know, the flaps were (and are) still retracted... Once we got back to the ramp, we shut down the engines and both electrically/manually actuated the trim from full up, to full down... The tab travels to full nose down, but stops on the way back to nose up at the 'neutral position'... When the trim tab is in the neutral position, the indicator shows full nose up.. (they do not match up)

That is why I am certain that the cable pulling the trim tab into the down position is working, but perhaps the actuator or cable that pulls it back into the 'up' position may be loose, slipped, or worse??? Since those cables run in the same cavity as the rudder and elevator cables, I will not fly it until we identify the 'real' problem... I dont want to take the chance that the trim cable might be broken or loose, and risk jamming something else at a critical time in the flight process..

I had ordered a service manual for the plane, but of course...it has not arrived yet.. This was to keep with the plane so that I could work with the A&P, and be appropriately informed if I had a problem at a remote airport..and to make sure we had the right documentation/partslists at all times. As you all know, lots of $$ can be spent by a mechanic who has no experience w/ 337's.

I am not unrealistic about expecting any of you to solve the problem, we clearly need to carefully inspect and fix the problem here - just curious if anyone else ever had the same experience, and if not - give you all a heads up...

It is through our shared experiences that we can all benefit from a safe and mutual passion for the Skymaster.

I am FRUSTRATED, but still completely in LOVE with this plane...