Thread: Cargo Pods
View Single Post
Unread 05-14-04, 04:03 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
My first 337 had a cargo pod on it when I bought it. I can confirm all that Ernie wrote as correct. Frankly, I wasn't sure I could see any speed difference with and without it. It is hard to see 3mph on an airspeed indicator. They are very light, I recall it will subtract about 50 lbs from your useful load. They are great for skis, coat bags, etc. Really heavy items would not work, the pod is not strong enough for them (but I had a Cessna stock pod, check with RT and Owen about the load limits on theirs).

Once you put it on, leave it on. It will take four hours, a ton of screws, and a bit of cursing to get it on. It is best to seal it with RTV or similar to prevent water getting in, although perhaps a new pod would have a better solution. But you do not want to take it on and off for different loads. Besides, the speed difference is neglible.

A Seneca 3 will carry more load, but nobody can see outside, a significant disadvantage for a family, in my opinion, but of course, that depends on what is important to you and yours.

I took mine off and sold it for $2000 (in 1996) because I needed the money more than the space. So buying a used one, although hard to find, is a third possible source for you to consider.

Kevin