View Single Post
Unread 03-04-12, 09:19 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Crash

Hi Dale,

Yes, I read all those reports but like I said, she had better lawyers. They made the case revolve totally around engine performance and not the pilot's decision making process. Example, she was 10 miles from the airport she wanted to go back to. She was losing about 250 feet per minute. She was flying at blue line (about 102 mph) and she was at 3000 feet. You do the math. If she were to request direct back to airport, it will take about 3 minutes. That will be a total loss of 750 feet. Lots of alt left to land safely. You know as well as I do, it doesn't matter who was right or wrong, trial by jury is a contest between attorneys and has nothing to do about truth.

I knew the skymaster will stay flying...in my flying experience I had to shut one engine off on five different trips. Each time telling the control tower I want direct to airport any runway.....why, when a skymaster is flying on only one engine, you are in a single engine aircraft with a bad glide ratio. What I don't understand is why are so many pilots so reluctant to declare an emergency.