View Single Post
Unread 03-05-12, 03:26 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine out Test

On the head temperatures. The day was 55 degree F when I did my test flight and the temp stayed close to normal. Look at video again and you can see on the right side of my panel. The temp on head and exhaust on instrument is normal. I have 12 probes on each engine.
My flight instructor was a witness for defence and used my video for demo. From what he said, when engine failed they did not use full power on good engine. They also circled before heading back to departure airport which was many miles away. They did not head to the nearest airport that was 10 miles away. The proof was in the radar that was tracking them. He showed me the radar printout. They also changed their store on the feathering of prop and weather the cowl flaps were left open on rear engine that had failed. When I did my testing at near gross at 6000 ft, I did not have the advantage of tubo charger. I was lucky if I could get more than 23 inches of manifold pressure. I could still keep airspeed at or above 100 knots and also climb. The 337 is still one of the safest aircraft today. You just need to fly it right and use your head. I was taught, if 1 engine fails, do not pause. Just push both throttles to fire wall. Then do not rush, take your time and determine which engine is failing by looking at fuel flow and temperature gauges. Then if you see tach is about the same, and it will be because the dead engine will windmill almost as fast as good engine. Slowly pull the throttle on the engine you think is dead to make sure you choose the right throttle. Then if you are right try the boost pumps on that engine and make sure you are on the right tank and you have fuel. If you can not get it back to life then again make sure you have the correct prop control and proceed to feather prop slowly. Next declare an emergancy with ATC and get help to the nearest airport. Do all that right and you will walk away to fly your 337 again. That crash was not the fault of the mechanic. Most pilots will agree, it was poor judgement of the pilot in command.

Last edited by Dale Campbell : 03-05-12 at 03:32 PM.