View Single Post
Unread 10-02-06, 10:09 AM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't heard anything about the 337 being different from other planes so far as controls and buffeting are concerned, but I did hear that Cessna, after much flying around behind the "icing" aircarft during tests, eventually came to the point where they couldn't keep all that tail surface area from building up too much. My plane has the tailplane boot just like others, and I think it would provide adequate de-icing for a while (as always depending on the buildup rate), so I feel fairly safe as de-iced planes go. But the boot only works for the leading edge and I could see where it could eventually build to a point where there was just too much weight on the tail, etc. That of course would affect the flying qualities as well as the tailplane stall characteristics. In any event, I consider my deicing to be for getting out of it and as a safety valve for inadvertant encounters and not for flying around in the stuff. That seems to be the generally correct view of ice equiptment these days, anyway.