Thread: Annual Costs
View Single Post
Unread 08-10-03, 08:20 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I have a '73 P337. During almost all the time that I have owned it, I had it maintained by an expensive, but high quality shop. Annuals ran about $6000 per year, except the first one (that the previous owner paid for the repairs on), which was $10,000+, but also included upgrades to the airplane.

My most recent annual was owner assisted to the maximum level possible for a non-A&P, using the same mechanics that worked for the old shop, which is now closed (the owner retired). This annual cost me $1800, plus about 40 hours of my own labor time.

I have done three engine changes on this airplane. The first two I paid for, the third Continental paid for under warranty. The complete overhaul of all accessories, including the prop, as well as R&R labor cost for the engine, and a factory reman from Continental, cost $25K for each engine two years ago. The labor that Continental paid for the third engine change was $2700.

I also owned a '65 337, that was maintained by the same shop. Annuals for that airplane ran about $4000.

The expensive shop charged $50 dollars an hour for labor, and was not shy about charging for each and every hour worked.

My current mechanic does the work in my hangar with my help for $30 per hour. The IA who did the annual charged $500 for the inspection.

I am located in Hillsboro, Oregon.

Kevin

Last edited by kevin : 08-10-03 at 08:24 AM.