Thread: Annual Costs
View Single Post
Unread 08-10-03, 11:19 AM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a '73 P337 for 6 years. During the first 4 years that I have owned it, I had it maintained by an expensive, but high quality shop. Annuals ran about $4500 per year, (the shop had a flat rate of $2500 for the inspection, the rest was for fixing things they found).

My most recent annual was owner assisted to the maximum level possible for a non-A&P, using an A&P on the field to show me how to do things, to do what I couldn't, and to inspcet my work. This annual cost me $2200, including a pitot static check.

I have done one engine change on this airplane, because the rear engine developed a crack in the crankcase. I used a factroy reman, reused my turbo and controller and prop governor. The engine was about $20,000, and the labor was about $3,000 (all new mounts, repainted engine mount, all new baffles, all new hoses included in that amount).

I spend about $1,000 per year for incidental maintenance, including at least two oil changes, (doing them myself now).

My original shop charged $60 dollars an hour for labor, and was not shy about charging for each and every hour worked. As a matter of fact, I am sure they charged me at times for down-time and work done on other things. They also missed things at times, some of lwhich could have been very dangerous, and some of which were just irritating (for example, after spending $4,000 for an annual, I would expect the air pressure in my tires to be at the specified value, but that was not the case a couple of times.)

My current mechanic does the work in my hangar with my help for $30 per hour. The IA who checked my A&P for the annual charged $200 for the inspection.

I am located in Aurora, Illinois, about 40 miles west of Chicago, and close enough to be affected by "big city" prices.

Mark