Thread: Cessna C337 SID
View Single Post
Unread 01-14-10, 09:29 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Being involved in marine mammal survey flying in 336/337s, I'm paying close attention to this. Before I retired from management at a Part 121 operator in 2006, also had some dealings with aging aircraft issues at that level. Obviously, there are several agendas and a lot of moving parts involved here, i.e. airplane usage, any valid failure history, failure modes, liabilities, the FAA's sometimes (many times?) unclear aim, etc. etc.

SOAPA's diligence and hard work in this situation is much appreciated. Like everyone here, I'd hate to see these useful and utilitarian airplanes needlessly put out of business by a financially unviable AD, SD, or other. And I completely understand the desire of owners and operators to avoid any financial hit.

However, as we sort through this haystack for 'truth,' I'd offer one observation, illustrated by what I said to an A&P inspecting a homebuilt I wanted to buy: "Give the airframe special attention. I can deal with an engine quitting, but not with a wing coming off."

Capt Ahab